|sudama shared this story from Seriously.|
I was reminded today that former Pirate Dock Ellis has always been one of my favorite athletes.
1. He pitched a no-hitter while he was tripping on LSD
2. He used to wear these curlers in his hair onto the field until the league banned him from doing so.
3. He once tried to hit every player on the Reds with a fastball to start a game. He hit three batters, and attempted to hit two more before getting thrown out.
4. He once chased a racist heckler into the stands with a baseball bat.
5. He was in general outspoken and intolerant of racism in baseball during an era when not many players would be.
(The “hate better” quote came after he sued the Cincinatti Reds for macing him before a game because a security guard didn’t know he was a player trying to get into the stadium. He won his lawsuit.)